211 HelpLine's Non-Profit Awards, Jewels of the Treasure Coast Luncheon
On May 18th, nearly 200 community-minded individuals including nonprofit organizations, their leaders, board members, and volunteers joined together at the Santa Lucia River Club for 211 HelpLine's Non-Profit Awards, Jewels of the Treasure Coast Luncheon. The event served as an opportunity to honor and reward organizations and individuals who work tirelessly to help those in need in the community.
The event was emcee'd by WPTV NewChannel 5's Michael Williams and was sponsored by Publix SuperMarket, PNC Bank, Florida Power & Light, Guardians Credit Union, Florida Community Bank, KE Insurance Agency and Magellan Complete Care. Guests were also treated with a dynamic keynote speech by Andrew Treadwell, the Administrative Director of Legislative & Executive Communications at Indian River State College.
After guests enjoyed a delicious lunch, the winners were announced in nine categories.
- Indian River County, Organization of the Year: Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- St. Lucie County, Organization of the Year: Hibiscus Children's Center
- Okeechobee County, Organization of the Year: Martha's House
- Martin County, Organization of the Year: The Salvation Army of Martin County
- Rising Star of the Year: Kindergarten Readiness Collaborative
- Animal Welfare Organization of the Year: Humane Society of St. Lucie County
- Non-Profit Volunteer of the Year: Cindy Davenhall, American Cancer Society
- Non-Profit Board Member of the Year: Richard Del Toro, Boys & Girls Club of St. Lucie
- Non-Profit Leader of the Year: Jeffrey Shearer, Tykes & Teens
The applications were rated by a panel of judges - Terissa Aronson (St. Lucie Chamber of Commerce), Vicki Davis (Martin County Supervisor of Elections), Darcy Flierl (Counselor & Consultant), Eric Flowers (Indian River County's Sheriff's Office), Jessica Parish (United Way of St. Lucie County), and Brady Talley (Indian River State College).
On Friday, October 14th 2016, over 160 guests gathered at the National Croquet Center for 211 HelpLine’s event, “Cocktails & Croquet,” an evening that was in honor of the agency’s longtime leader, Susan Buza.
Guests enjoyed an impressive silent auction, innovative photo booth, entertainment by World Class DJ’s, a delicious dinner and even a signature cocktail – the ‘Bye Bye Buza!’
The night’s emcee was WPTV Channel 5 Meteorologist, Felicia Combs who led a program of inspiring speeches from Ray Ellis, 211’s Board Chairman; Laurie George, CEO of United Way Palm Beach County; Sharon L’Herrou, 211’s incoming President/CEO; and of course Susan Buza, who gave an emotional and heartwarming farewell address.
Driven by 211’s Board of Directors, the event raised just over $64,000 for the agency, which is the centralized access point for all other health and human services in Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast.
Event Sponsors included PNC Bank, Florida Power & Light, the FAU Foundation, Guardians Credit Union, Florida Crystals, JRC Charitable Foundation, McLaughlin & Stern, ADT, Electrical Consulting Services, Wells Fargo, Sandy Pines, Ray Buza, Melissa & Mike Buza, Joanne Nowlin, Therese Shehan, Christine & Mike Hanley and Patti & Charlie Hamilton.